Chopp Commits to Sustainability
President Rebecca Chopp recently became a signatory of the American College & University Presidents’ Climate Commitment (ACUPCC), joining leaders of nearly 700 institutions across the country in accelerating the research and educational efforts towards carbon neutrality in order to re-stabilize the earth’s climate. ACUPCC institutions have agreed to:
• Complete an emissions inventory.
• Within two years, set a target date and interim milestones for becoming climate neutral.
• Take immediate steps to reduce green house gas emissions by choosing from a list of short-term actions.
• Integrate sustainability into the curriculum and make it part of the educational experience.
• Make the action plan, inventory, and progress reports publicly available.
Chopp also made sustainability a key theme of her inauguration address. “We must educate to set anew and set aright our relationship to the earth, to our climate, to the web of all existence,” she said.